Sunday, March 18, 2012

Savannah St. Patrick's Day

Savannah was lucky enough to have St. Patrick's Day, March 17 2012, fall on a Saturday.  Temperature was between 85 and 90 degrees with no rain in sight.  The night before 7 of us on C-Dock (quickly becoming known as the party dock) decided that we would take a van taxi to the downtown festivities and parade.  In the morning there was five of us going.  Pam, Dave, Gene, Bill and I.  $10.00 each wasn't too bad.  Savannah is said to be the second largest St. Paddy's Day Parade and Celebration in the world.  First would be New York City.  The taxi dropped us at a point the closest he could get us.  We then started to walk to the crowds.  And there were crowds.  We stopped at one of the parks.  People here were fun to watch.  And the set ups people had you would have thought that they were tailgating at a football team whose color was green.  The tables, food, beer, wine, mixed concoctions and one group were even drinking champagne.  There was green EVERYWHERE.  The dress of the day was green and anything goes.  Like this guy in a green tootoo. (in the background.)


I even found a Leprechaun for me to hug to try and get some luck going.


We ended up finding a place on a corner to view the parade, but we were a couple of rows back.  I am not very tall so I just held up my camera and hoped for the best. What I got was the back of peoples heads.  Here is Pam's with her hair up because it is sooo hot.


As I mentioned before, EVERYTHING is green.  This is the fountain in Forsyth Park.  There was a ceremony last week called "The  Greening of the Fountains". Green foodcoloring is added to the water.



Part way through Dave and Pam deceided to get something to eat.  Later Bill, Gene and I thought that was a good idea.  But is was a 45 minute wait and I was very hungry.  We went across the street to The Mirage that was also a huka lounge.  We got our drinks and ordered our food.  I am not sure what happened with the order but we left with no food.  Wandering the streets some more we saw the Marines going by in the parade We went from there to get out of the crowded streets but we found we were Trapped!!  You see the parade route is like a square with few little jogs.  We were stuck on the inside.  After getting out to an intersection where traffic was moving I called a taxi.  25 minutes later I called for a status and was told "He's almost there".  That was a lie.  45 minutes later we walked back to the park for the facilities.  I called a different company and was told it was a 2 hour wait.  At least they did not lie.  In the rode I waived down a taxi and he picked us up 10 minutes later on his return trip.  All in all it was a nice day.  People here call Sunday "Hangover Day".  I don't have one but did sleep late.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen so many people in one place in my life!

    ReplyDelete