Thursday, March 29, 2012

Technology and the Sailboat

As I mentioned yesterday, Enigma is our home.  When people ask what it is like for us on our 35 foot sailboat, I say it is kind of like living in an RV, only on the water.  RV you may say?  Well, yes.  Enigma has the berths, head with shower, sink, stove and oven.  We do not have a refrigerator but we do have a large ice box.  This is like an extra big built-in cooler that has a shelf.  We feed it ice blocks and ice cubes when it gets hungry. Unlike your stoves and ovens in a home we need to turn on the propane gas then lite the burner.  Bill has pretty much mastered regulating the heat.  Me, not so much.

What we seem to do a lot of is read.  Books, newspapers, magazines.  Which brings me to some technology we brought with us.  Besides reading I have a Droid phone.  I use this many times during the day.  I play games with it.  I use facebook to see what some friends and family is up to.  I am not sure how to use twitter but I follow a few tweeters, like CNN, the Weather Channel, People Magazine.  Yes, People is sort of gossipy, but how else would I know that Ashton Kutcher and Rhianna were 'stepping out' together.  Actually I just read that this morning.  Care not.  Bill thinks at times it is surgically attached to my hand.  I still have not mastered the thumb typing yet.  I use the one finger hunt and peck.  What we actually bought it for was to use the hotspot to connect to the internet when there is no wi-fi for us to use the PC. 



Oh, the PC.  Yes, we have a laptop we use also. I use it to download pictures, read my e-mail and update the blog.  Sometimes I research stuff.  Bill uses the laptop more, because I just use the phone.  He researches and reads news.  Downloads pics and quickly checks facebook.  He is not one for games on the internet except one.  Margaritaville.  And he is darn good at it.  We use it for the mundane stuff too.  Like taxes and paying the bills.


Of course there is the TV.  As the weather gets warmer we use this less and less.  Mostly for an hour or three at night.  TV does count as technology, right? 


;-)   /)_




No comments:

Post a Comment