Monday, April 2, 2012

Baubles, Buttons and Beads

Right off I know most guys will not even be interested in this post.  Why?  It is my hobby of beaded jewelry.  Everyone needs a hobby to keep their mind busy and out of trouble.  Or to avert themselves from thinking about all of the repairs or updates that need to be done on the boat. I got started on this back when I was still working at ING.  My manager was making some awesome pieces and she even repaired one of mine.  She gave me 2 tools and some beads to practice with.  So then I went out and bought a basic 'how to' book.  I was hooked.  It is not all that easy.  Well, basic stringing can be but putting on the clasps can be tricky.  For example, my first piece was intended to be a long necklace, then it became a shorter necklace, then a choker.  In the end I had a pretty bracelet.

I practiced, read the book and watched youtube.  I got myself an assortment of tools like different kinds of pliers and cutters.

My favorite thing is something Bill bought me so I could stop putting the wires in my teeth or dropping a string of beads only to have some fall on the floor.  Stepping barefoot on seadbeads is not fun. Just ask Bill.  This is the Helping Hand with Magnifying Lens.

I am sure there can be many, many other uses for this handy item.   The two clips and the magnifying lens can be adjusted to many different positions.
I do make some earrings and bracelets, but my favorite things are creating necklaces.  Some with all beads and maybe a pendant.  Like this one I made for my sister.


Some with chains.  My niece wanted turquoise.


My other niece likes leather/suede.


I made this choker from beads and buttons.  One of my favorites.


And that is what I do to relieve stress or boredom.

;-)   /)

No comments:

Post a Comment